We hear a lot concerning air pollution, the quality of the air we breathe and the impact it has on our selves, our family, friends and the environment.
What can we do and how can we help to improve air quality in our neighborhood?
You can help improve air quality!
Every time you use a car, or walk, every time you use your heater or air conditioner, or buy new things, you make choices that have an effect on the environment and on air quality.
Below you can read about what you can do to reduce air pollution.
The main contributor to air pollution in Cypriot cities is cars and trucks. You can thus contribute to reduce air pollution by driving less. Fewer trips with your car will help reduce air pollution.
Driving less doesn't mean you have to stay home. Try combining driving with other ways of getting where you want to go:
- Ride a bike or walk
- For car trips, share the ride with friends
- Use public transportation
- Use the school bus instead of parent's car
- Avoid unnecessary car trips and arrange your journey and the stops you have to do
- Shop by phone or mail
By saving energy you can contribute to the reduction of air pollution. Whenever we burn fossil fuels, we pollute the air. So, use less gasoline, natural gas, and electricity (power plants burn fossil fuels to generate electricity):
- Turn off the lights when you leave a room
- Spend less time in the shower
Here are some more ideas that you can discuss with your parents:
- Replace energy-demanding incandescent lights with fluorescent lighting
- Use a programmable thermostat that automatically turns off the air conditioner or heater when you don't need it
- Add insulation to your home
- Use a fan instead of air conditioning
- Microwave small meals
- Insulate your water heater
- Install low-flow shower heads
Producing and selling the different products we use requires energy. Here are some ideas on ways to cut off energy use, and thereby reduce air pollution, and save money.
- Choose recycled products
- Choose products with recyclable packaging
- Reuse paper bags and recycle paper, plastics, and metals
- Print and photocopy on both sides of paper
Fight for clean air!
Now you have learned something about air pollution and how you can contribute to make the air cleaner. Let your friends and family know what you've found out and help us fight for clean and healthy air.
- Talk to your school friends about air pollution and discuss what you can do about it
- Discuss with your parents how your family can contribute
- Write to your local paper. Support action for healthy air
The aforementioned as well as other information may be found in our web pages. We have also selected some on-line games and multimedia content that we hope that you will like.
1. A web-based game
- Smogcity2: control the air quality in a city in an interactive way
2. Short film
3. Kids and teenagers for air pollution
- Atmospheric dust in Cyprus (4th Latsia Primary School)